Monday, July 18, 2016

RPG Design: Core Four Classes

I've mentioned before that my rules set, Sorcery & Steel, grew out of, among other things, countless hours analyzing the mechanics of 1e Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.  However, in addition to 1e, several other Old School products have also provided inspiration.  For example, the Core Four Classes are drawn from Original Dungeons & Dragons and Supplement I: Greyhawk (i.e., Fighting-Man, Magic-User, Cleric and Thief).



One might ask, "What about the Paladin?" (which is also featured in Supplement I), to which I would reply, "The Paladin in Supplement I, unlike 1e, is not a standalone class but rather an option for Fighting-Men who meet the prerequisites."

Also, I should add that Sorcery & Steel uses the term "career" rather than "class", both because the former more accurately maps what this rules set is trying to accomplish and because the latter is one of a number of unintuitive word choices in D&D.  My rules set does add a bit more crunch, adapting 1e's weapon proficiency system to allow players options to customize.

Nevertheless, I do quite like the minimalist approach of only a handful of classes.  Not only does this streamline character creation, but it also encourages player creativity and imagination.  For example, if you are a "Fighting-Man," what does that mean beyond your stats?

You might be a mighty bear of a bruiser, able to absorb and dish out tremendous amounts of damage:



Alternately, you might be a lean, pantherish warrior, relying on your quickness and cunning:



Or whatever else suits your fancy.  It is up to each player to supply their own answer.  In other words, you have to think for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment